We went through the coolest food market ever. And there wasn't just food either, there were clothes, hardware stores (that's where we got London's machete), toys...all sorts of junk. But I'm just going to focus on the food for a minute.
The fruit in Guate was absolutely amazing. We purposely bought a super sharp pocket knife so we could slice into all the yummy goodness. Just missed out on Mango season, but we did get to sample a few end of seasons that left us totally sticky and wishing for more.
So I don't remember what either of these fruits were called. The "hairy" red one you'd slice open to find a clear, gummy, almost grape like interior with an almond sized pit in the middle. They had a kind of coconut flavor, but not quite. The yellow ones were so sour and tart I wasn't quite sure what to do with them.

Any veggie you want was available, and totally cheap. I just missed the kid that was selling this stuff in my quick snap shot. But the little teenage girls across the way got a good laugh at him because they thought I had got him in the picture. :) I guess teenagers are the same no matter where you live.

K, so the red piles are different types of dried VERY HOT peppers, seriously just smelling them got your nose burning. Then the black piles (depending on which stand you were at) were either another kind of pepper or beans of some sort. Now the white piles are not something you'd see here at home. They are dried Sardines, small, medium, or large variety. They too were RATHER stinky.

This was the smelliest of the lot though. The meat markets. No refrigeration, flies everywhere, and what's worse they were right at the entry way into the market. So you smell it when you come in and you have to smell it again when you go out. As we rushed passed I notice some of the meat was BRAIDED. I really had to think on that one to figure out what kind of an animal could you braid. Then it clicked, intestines!!! BLAH!!! Waste not, want not I guess.
1 comment:
yay! finally! you cracked me up with the braided meat. ha ha ha ha ha this is how beef is aged. it's actually not bad for it as it's usually sold quickly. I love the pictures! what a great anniversary trip. very cool. we have our 10th in January .... we should start planning soon. :-)
Post a Comment