Fall

Monday, August 2, 2010

Corpse Flower

Phoenix and I read, "Stink and the Worlds Worst Super-Stinky Sneakers" a few months back. And we discovered that the stinkiest thing around is a Corpse Flower.

Do some research if you can cause they're really cool and only 29 have EVER bloomed in the entire USA! I'll just tell you this, when they are in bloom they smell like Rotten Meat. So one was blooming here in the Houston Museum of Natural Science, and we just had to see it.

Onto the Museum.
Heading up to the Flower.
It's lingering effects were in the stair well.
Since the flower has to be kept quite warm it was located in the Butterfly Exhibit, jungle area. They have a HUGE bug collection, alive and dead, that we got to check out while waiting in line. This is a freakishly huge katydid, that I am ever so grateful does not live by me.
But these cute little pink Katydid's I wouldn't mind so much, aren't they pretty!
Butterfly's everywhere! Even hundreds in their cocoons, we saw some hatching. So cool!
So if you zoom in on this you can read all about Lois, our Houston Corpse Flower.
And here she is. You'll notice she's 6ft tall and the Sink-O-Meter on the right is only at a 3. You really could only smell her if you stood right there by the meter, and man was she ever ripe! Can you imagine if we'd gotten there right when she'd opened and the Meter read 10?!! Wow, that would have been one stinky smell.

1 comment:

Tori said...

How neat that you could take something that you read and live it in real life. That is a crazy flower. I'm glad I don't have one in my yard. ;)