Fall

Friday, September 10, 2010

Cleaning Out the Garden

I grew up in Utah where it's very dry and NEVER humid. So I have new and exciting experiences here in Houston, Texas all the time. The last one occurred this weekend.

My garden has been slowly dieing and no longer producing, so it was time to rip it all out and clean it up. As I pulled out the cucumbers I saw something big and black scoot under the plants. I thought for sure it was that rat come back to haunt me. But nope, it was a Frog. I eventually caught 4 frogs, 2 lizards, and at least 2 more lizards got away. And my garden's really not all that big. Phoenix, as you can see, was in Heaven. We do have frogs in Utah but not all over the back yard. You'd usually hear them out in the field, in the random wet spot that never seems to dry up. Well, in Houston nothing ever drys up. Every time I mow the lawn there are at least 6 frogs hiding amongst the grass. And those are only the ones I see. I did think I saw a baby snake there in the garden. I made Jared kill it because the baby's, if venomous, are the most dangerous. But after he killed it we discovered it was actually a legless lizard. They are really long and skinny, like a snake, and have these stumpy little legs. I felt so bad.
OH! One more story. Jared and I went to the temple last week. While in one of the rooms on at least the 3rd floor, the last room you go to (if you know what I mean), I looked down on the floor and a little pale gecko came crawling out from under the chair. Me and a man next to me just stared at it in disbelief. I looked up at him with a smile and said, "I'll let you catch that then." So he scooped it up, passed it off to another laughing man that was leaving, who then showed it to a Temple worker who just laughed, and I'm assuming it was passed off to someone downstairs and eventually made it's way outside. Too funny! That was the last thing I ever thought I'd see in the Temple.

5 comments:

Angie said...

You are crazy! I would have been RUNNING in the other direction, not catching the gross things! Your boys are lucky to have you as a mom!

Unknown said...

That is too funny! Critters in the temple!

Suzy Q said...

In my defense I was wearing gardening gloves at the time. So picking up slimey lizards and hopping frogs isn't so bad when you know they can't bite you.

Jess said...

In the temple? That is CRAZY! Oh, and I love the story of Sicily putting Jared in time out. :)

Janell said...

You always seem to have fun stories to tell!! Love your blog! :) Are you going to be in Utah around Thanksgiving? We might go there then.