Fall

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Ghost Lake

We'd promised the kids we'd go for a little skate after the Canmore Festival. We've wanted to for some time. So we stopped at Ghost Lake on the way home. Huge chunks of ice were everywhere, Sicily was collecting them until we told her they'd melt in the car. All 4 kids in a real shot. This is not photo shopped. This is Ghost Lake.
Crazy people were motorcycling on the ice. At least we thought they were crazy until we got a closer look at they're bikes. Their tires have 2 inch spikes on them. I didn't know stuff like that existed, you find crazy things with these winter Canadians.
Just a little ice fishing. This guy was really nice and let the kids hang out with him for quite some time.
His hole was drilled through at least 2 ft of ice.
And just like any Dad he was a sucker for our pink marshmallow, Sicily. She loved trying her hand with the baby fishing pole. The line was more than 30 ft in the water. But we didn't catch anything.
Eventually the skates came out. We all own a pair now thanks to the Second hand store. Sicily and London helped Mom and Dad have a race.
They pulled us a long to see who would win. Which by the way, "Girls rule and boys Drool!" Sicily and I won hands down. Pond skating is really hard, the ice is bumpy. No Zamboni out here.
All tuckered out from her race.
I thought these were boats frozen in the lake, because all you could see were the masts. But they're actually wind surfing boats made for the ice.
Check out the blades. I wish we knew someone who owned one of these. That would be some serious fun.
And of course you always find more crazy people, like those on the bikes. A left over fire out in the middle of the lake. I'm not too sure how smart this is.
I used Aspens feet as an example. You can see that crack below her, how deep it goes. This ice was way to thick to worry about.
At least in some places. The motorcycle people told this guy to not drive his truck out there because the ice was thinner. He apparently didn't listen. So glad we left our van in the parking lot. Not too sure if he got it out.

1 comment:

Ms. McKellips said...

Wow! Serious fun! You guys are so lucky, I love that you take full advantage of where ever you are. Keep it up my little travel guides.