I'd always thought eggs were white and yellow. So why is it when you boil them the yolk turns and nasty grey color? In my opinion food should look good and taste good. Well ... that just does not look good.
Are those your eggs? Basically, it's caused by a reaction between the iron in the yolk and the sulfur in the white part of the egg.
To prevent the yolks from turning grey, cook them for less time. I put the eggs in a pot of cold water, bring it to a boil, turn off the burner, cover the pot and let it sit for 10 minutes. That seems to work for me. I also add salt to the pot, but I don't know if that prevents the yolks from turning grey.
Do you run cold water over them for a while as soon as they are done cooking. I have heard that keeps them from changing. I do that and mine are yellow but maybe I just have better eggs than you. Hee hee.
Who knew you all knew these things? And here I thought I'd learned all the tricks of the cooking trade. :) Thanks ladies, I'll actually set a timer next time. :)
5 comments:
You know they only turn that color when you boil them too long right?
Are those your eggs? Basically, it's caused by a reaction between the iron in the yolk and the sulfur in the white part of the egg.
To prevent the yolks from turning grey, cook them for less time. I put the eggs in a pot of cold water, bring it to a boil, turn off the burner, cover the pot and let it sit for 10 minutes. That seems to work for me. I also add salt to the pot, but I don't know if that prevents the yolks from turning grey.
Don't boil them so long. They aren't as nasty then.
Your kids are so cute. Are you coming here for Christmas?
Do you run cold water over them for a while as soon as they are done cooking. I have heard that keeps them from changing. I do that and mine are yellow but maybe I just have better eggs than you. Hee hee.
Who knew you all knew these things? And here I thought I'd learned all the tricks of the cooking trade. :) Thanks ladies, I'll actually set a timer next time. :)
Post a Comment