Fall

Thursday, June 3, 2010

San Jacinto Monument Field Trip

We have School Field Trips at the end of the school year every year. This year they bused the 4th graders out to San Jacinto Monument.
And we didn't have to wait till we got there to have something to look at. At many of the refineries they had these awesome paintings of the San Jacinto Battle. Pretty cool.
So here's the Monument. It stands 15 ft higher than Washington DC Memorial. Very impressive.
And VERY BIG!
Here are all the crazy 4th graders. I can't believe they got them all to stay put for this shot.
This picture's for Uncle Ryan. There was quite a cool museum inside, with originals of everything. So here's your original Confederate Flag. Not quite as bright as the ones you see today, but still impressive.
Swords, guns, knifes...they had about 50 of everything, so all the boys were in Heaven. Just the kind of stuff a 9 year old wants to look at at the museum.
And yes, it was hot outside, this is TX after all. We discovered the AC vent was pretty good at cooling you off and buffing you up. This is Cody, our back fence neighbor.
London and a couple of friends. I'll catch their names later.
So you can ride the elevator up to the observation deck and look across that pond to this Battleship. Next time we come to the monument we're heading over here to have a walk around on this. Notice the tiny buses, that'll give you an idea of how big that ship is.
And then this is what else surrounds the monument. Swamps and water.
More artifacts in the Museum part. This is an actual letter signed by Santa Anna. I could sit here and tell you all about the San Jacinto Battle, but it'd take an awfully long time. I'll give you the basics that this is were Texas earned their Independence from Mexico. This battle happened after the battle of the Alamo. But for more details I'm gonna say Goggle it, then you'll know everything else. :)
And Santa Anna's glove. I thought it was pretty cool that they had something like this.
So then you have the actual battleground. Complete swampy area. I really don't know how they fought out there.
And the monument from the Battlefield perspective. The star on top weighs something like 20 tons.
How would you like to fight out here? It's too pretty to think of what really happened here.
So on the drive home I passed this church with the hugest cross I've ever seen. I thought it was a nice way to end this Post, seeing as how many men died during this Battle.

No comments: