The Calgary Zoo is the 2nd Largest in all of Canada. And they just opened a Penguin exhibit. The kids were so excited. They'd only let 60 people in at a time, give you a little schpeel then let you wander.
This little female King Penguin likes to splash, and Sicily was right in the right spot. Got her right on the head and down her body. Too funny.
Aspen's class in Texas did a study about penguins and this was the breed she got to learn about and dress up as. She was super excited to have her picture taken with him.
So now we exit to the world of Canada. And since we already saw some of these in the wild, the kids thought it was great that we got to see one up closer.
Great Camouflage. He was hanging out right above the entrance. We almost missed him. This aviary had plates of food for the owls. Things like mice and dead baby chicks. The chicks were kind of sad to see. But hey, it's food I guess.
Hedwig! That's where you've been hiding.
We've only been closer to 1 buffalo than this one. It was in Yellowstone State Park where the thing almost licked our car window. I much prefer the fence.
Yak, Water buffalo...not really sure. But hey, he looks warm.
Inside we go to see the Porcupines. They had a cardboard box covered in peanut butter to play with. They were having a hay day.
The fattest animal in the world, I think, is the hippo. These things were huge. They had facts about them all over the walls. Phoenix's favorite was that the hippo can flip it's poo up to 17 ft to mark it's territory. Only a 6 year old boy would find this amazing and not disgusting.
And though they weren't flipping poop you can tell by Phoenix's reaction that it's pretty stinky in here anyway.
I some how always manage to get awesome shots of the Tigers. That or these animals are really good at posing.
He was licking and licking and licking that pole. I'd really like to know why.
These gorillas were awesome. Usually it's just a silver back that sits there and picks his nose. These females were running all over the place and even had a wrestling match for us. "Wow, look at their teeth!" The kids were entranced. We even saw a group outside in the snow, huddling under piles of hay and wrapping their arms around themselves to stay warm. It was kind of freaky how human they were. All I could think of was "Rise of the Planet of the Apes." 
Especially this little guy with the hairy head. So funny.
Aspen's class in Texas did a study about penguins and this was the breed she got to learn about and dress up as. She was super excited to have her picture taken with him.
So now we exit to the world of Canada. And since we already saw some of these in the wild, the kids thought it was great that we got to see one up closer.
Great Camouflage. He was hanging out right above the entrance. We almost missed him. This aviary had plates of food for the owls. Things like mice and dead baby chicks. The chicks were kind of sad to see. But hey, it's food I guess.
Hedwig! That's where you've been hiding.
We've only been closer to 1 buffalo than this one. It was in Yellowstone State Park where the thing almost licked our car window. I much prefer the fence.
Yak, Water buffalo...not really sure. But hey, he looks warm.
Inside we go to see the Porcupines. They had a cardboard box covered in peanut butter to play with. They were having a hay day.
The fattest animal in the world, I think, is the hippo. These things were huge. They had facts about them all over the walls. Phoenix's favorite was that the hippo can flip it's poo up to 17 ft to mark it's territory. Only a 6 year old boy would find this amazing and not disgusting.
And though they weren't flipping poop you can tell by Phoenix's reaction that it's pretty stinky in here anyway.
I some how always manage to get awesome shots of the Tigers. That or these animals are really good at posing.
He was licking and licking and licking that pole. I'd really like to know why.
"Please can I come out to play??? Please Mom, can I go outside? Please?"
These gorillas were awesome. Usually it's just a silver back that sits there and picks his nose. These females were running all over the place and even had a wrestling match for us. "Wow, look at their teeth!" The kids were entranced. We even saw a group outside in the snow, huddling under piles of hay and wrapping their arms around themselves to stay warm. It was kind of freaky how human they were. All I could think of was "Rise of the Planet of the Apes." 
I think she needed to use the bathroom. Not too sure why she's making that face.






You almost could eat this it looks so pretty.
Some little violet to finish off the day.


So that's Aspen and London up there with that cute little snake hanging above them.

We so very much miss Australia. Everyone wanted to be the joey.

Phoenix taking a Joey nap.

Aspen tried to and got stuck. Seriously, we had to wedge her out. It was hilarious.

It was really cold outside so we went into the botanical gardens to warm up a bit.
These flowers are just cool, even Phoenix was interested. Spiky and all.
Sicily and I thought these looked like butterflies. We miss our Butterfly Garden at the Houston Museum of Natural Science.
You almost could eat this it looks so pretty.
Some little violet to finish off the day.
So though the zoo was lots of fun, next time we will be coming when it's a bit warmer.



1 comment:
Awesome! That seems like a pretty cool zoo. Isn't it amazing how you can go and go and go and it never gets boring?
Post a Comment