Fall

Friday, September 4, 2009

Yaxha

I think the leaves on this plant were at least 4 ft across. It's just amazing how well plants flourish in this kind of environment.Howler Monkeys everywhere. I actually took this shot from the top of one of the Temples. There were about 4 camped out at the top of this canopy.
If you didn't know what made this noise it would really freak you out to be in the jungle. This is the sound of a Howler Monkey.

A little rain goes a long way in the Jungle. It was downright pouring. It stopped later on which was too bad because then it was just really hot and muggy. Pretty sad when you wish for the down pour to come back.
We only had one poncho, so Jared borrowed the umbrella from the actually prepared 60 year old woman in our tour group, Araina.
We hiked to the top of this Temple. I know, it's just a hill with stairs. But remember what I said before, they only excavate then they have the money to preserve, so this Temple was only excavated on the top. Lots of stairs though.
So these dangling things are actually bird nests. I don't remember the name of the bird but it's eggs kept getting stolen by magpies. So it figured out how to build up and around it's nest. It's hollow at the top and it has to dive in to take care of it's eggs. The Magpies can still get into the nest, but they can't carry the eggs out. Kind of ingenious. Watch the cool video and listen to the neat sound it makes.

There I am in the pink, about half way up.
This Temple complex is 3 Temples. We're standing on the one pictured above and these are the 2 next to it.
They are just downright HUGE, and look totally fake, but they were amazing. I never knew you could actually see places like this.
At the top of Temple 216, after the rain stopped.
Temple 216. You had to hike some stairs on the side to get to the top of this one.
A Stella set at the base of the Temple. If you could read this it would tell you who the Temple belonged to.
I found this quartz sticking out of the rock on the trail we were following. We asked the guide about it and he went off about how the Mayans used to use the quartz as a form of power. Then he gave examples of today, like in watches and things. How the power that comes from quartz helps things run properly. Jared actually uses quartz in his Schlumberger tools, it helps them determine the pressure down the holes they are drilling.
This is a Peanut Head Moth. It's about 6 inches long. This is a type of Cicada called Devils Horse. On it's head it has 2 handle type antenna, then when it flies you see the red under wing behind it that looks like a trail of fire. And so you know those are the guides hands, not Jared's.
After our wonderful hike in the humidity we went to the restaurant for lunch. I just thought this sign was pretty.
Right next to the restaurant was a home with kids running everywhere, one of which was naked and just running around in shoes (I love naked bubbas, it was so funny). Anyhow, this little baby Toucan was on their front porch. So cute.

Our first course of the day was soup. I loved the cup/bowls, it kept the soup hot and, I think, made it taste that much better.
They have the best drinks in Guatemala. This is Cantaloupe Juice, SOOOO yummy! Kind of a cantaloupe slush, really refreshing in the heat.
The restaurant had no walls and was open except for the roof which was a thatched cone, totally cool. But this shot is of the floor. Horizontal slices of tree trunks, super neat.

No comments: