Fall

Monday, April 13, 2009

Good Friday - Museum

The kids were out of school for Good Friday so we took them to the Houston Museum of Natural Science. Totally awesome, especially if you get there right at 9, when they open, you pretty much have the museum to yourself.

The kids loved the pendulum. It swings all day and is powered by magnets. But the cool thing is the little pegs in the circle. As the Earth rotates the pendulum knocks over every peg in a 24 hour period. Totally cool, we'd sit and watch it for 10 mins at a time just to see it hit a peg.
There's an amazing "rock" collection here, more crystals I guess. And a jewelry section with Sapphires the size of your hand. WOW!

Sicily was a bit nervous of the lion. And I totally freaked out Aspen and London when I GRABBED them as they were getting a closer look. So funny!
So we all know mood rings are the coolest, but really...what would you do with a giant mood wall?
The Energy Section turned out to be an amazing lesson for the kids on "What Dad does at work all day." They Loved it, and were actually really interested.
"Christmas Tree," oil rig style.
So when I was a kid my Dad bought an Octopus for Mom to cook up for dinner. In actuality it sat in the freezer for months and just STARED at us every time we were sent down to get bread. I think Mom finally threw it out. Let's just say I'm glad it wasn't as big as this Octopus, I probably would have had nightmares.
Can't have a Science Museum with out a few dinosaurs. Phoenix said this one was nice enough to give the little one a piggy-back ride.

3 comments:

Angie said...

You guys are so great about taking advantage of the cities you live in. I am so BORING!!!

Anonymous said...

I love going to museums, especially sciencey museums. I would probably sit and watch that pendulum all day. Well, maybe not all day, but at least a while.

Erika said...

We have been terrible about doing all of the museums and things around here. This one will definitely be added to the list.

Now that the baby is getting bigger, I'm ready to get back on the ball with this type of stuff.