Fall

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Alligators Passing Through

If we didn't taken you here on your last visit, it's because we didn't know this place existed. Welcome to Brazos Bend National Park.
Those gators are pretty mean, so watch out.
We took the 40 Acre Lake trail this time, across the lake you see this look out point. Knowing that was coming was all that kept the kids going on the 1.2 miles hike. I know, it's so far. (Note the sarcasm in my typing.)
Ended up, though, there was plenty to see along the way. Pretty sure this tree is left over from Hurricane Ike. Makes a pretty good resting place, that is if you have someone to put you on top of it.
All I could think about as we hiked through the swamp was Bear Grills in "Man vs. Wild" This was one of the few episodes I've actually watched all the way through. They dumped him in the middle of a swamp, he caught a gator and ate it and somehow found his way out of the swamp. I was glad our swamp had a dry trail, he wasn't so lucky.
So here's the look out, 27 some odd stairs up. Not so bad, and you could see all that acreage of swamp. I know, not much but birds and wet lands. But the kids thought it was cool.
These little birdies were everywhere. Though I did note they didn't hang out too close to the alligators. Wonder why?!?
So here's our first little gator. Yes, that's me. And I'm only standing up this close to him because he has his back to me. The signs say stay 30 ft back, yet the path is only 6 ft wide, go figure.
This guy wasn't looking quite as sleepy as some of the others. But he was down a slight ravine, so I guess we were safe.
You know, some people risk their children's lives by going up a 5000 ft mountain, putting them on snow skies then pushing them off the side. But down here we prefer to force them to walk passed a fully grown alligator that's not behind bars while it turns its head to look at you as you walk by. Now you tell me which one's more scary.
But "Phoenix the Brave" has really good eyes. We'd just told the kids to stay clear of this big Daddy, only to be told that it wasn't a Daddy at all, it was one big Mama. Just past the last bit of green you'll notice a tiny long yellow and black striped baby alligator. Couldn't have been more than a month old. He was swimming all over the place. And this MAMA was keeping him mighty close. Good eyes Phoenix!

No comments: