Fall

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Calvin & Hobbs Dinner Time

I grew up in a family that was devoted to the Comics. That was the only thing I ever read out of the Newspaper. And one of my all time favorites was Calvin & Hobbs. This story may remind you of one of his.

Phoenix has taken to not wanting to eat ANYTHING ever placed in front of him. Unless, of course, it's Mac & Cheese and Hot Dogs. So we have a struggle every night to get him to stop whining and start eating. This was the latest conversation to convince him to eat:

Mom: Eat your soup!
Phoenix: What is it?
M: It's Sticky Green Soup (Cream of Broccoli for all you non-Walkers)
P: What's in it?
M: Cow Eye Balls.
P: What? ... Really?
M: Yes, but I had to chop them up because they gross me out when I see them. So they're the little white chunks in there. (onions)
P: Why's it green then?
M: Oh! That's the caterpillars (broccoli). When you cook them up they turn soupy.
So he finally tries it.
P: It's pretty good. (another spoonful) Those chunkeys are the eyeballs?
M: Yes!

He ate the whole bowl.

Mind this was a family dinner. Trying to convince Phoenix of all this while getting London and Aspen to keep quiet and get Jared to stop laughing was a major feat.

4 comments:

Marissa said...

funny little guy! I can't believe that convinced him to eat. Whatever works is my policy.

Jess said...

That is hilarious! It does sound just like Calvin and Hobbes. I wonder if it would work with my kids?

ameliaharris99 said...

That is hilarious! :) My problem would be getting the other kids NOT to believe the story, so they wouldn't get grossed out and continue eating.

Ms. McKellips said...

That is sooooooo Calvin and Hobbes. He never would have touched it if he's known it was Broccoli*L* I love it!!