Fall

Thursday, September 18, 2008

WE HAVE POWER

WE HAVE POWER, WE HAVE POWER, WE HAVE POWER!!!!! After 139 hours and 15 mins the power finally flicked on while putting the kids to bed. Almost 6 days!! A very long 6 days. No movies for the kids, no dishwasher, no washing machine, no computer games, no internet/e-mail/blogging, no oven, no microwave, no fridge, no freezer, no air conditioning, no fans, no TV for us, no door bell, no alarm clock (not so bad really), no baby monitor, no lights past 8 pm....etc.

In the end we treated it like we were camping. Slept in a bit each morning and went to bed farely early each night. With no lights after 8 Jared and I typically read our books by candle light. Can't do much besides that. ;) Jared's been home from work all week, because his office building has had no power either. We were blessed with a gas stove, so we were able to eat more than just cold tinned food. We also have a gas water heater, which didn't matter the first few days as it was so HOT we all took about 3 cold showers a day. But the Lord blessed us with rather cooler whether, low 80's. Very much more barable compared to 95 degrees and 95% humidity. We met loads of our neighbors. With nothing to do but sit outside and enjoy the breeze, I never knew there were so many kids in our neighborhood.

We had a good laugh at my Visiting Teaching companion, who just couldn't handle the "camping" atmosphere. They literally packed up their kids and went off to Disney World so as to escape the "unbarable" situation. Could not believe it. Wish Jared would have suggested that. ;)

Thank you again all of you for your prayers and concern. There is still much work to be done in our area. School is still closed and our Library is closed indefinately due to damage. We were very blessed to ONLY have no power during this horrible experience. Please continue to pray for all those who still need help, and if you're given the oportunity to serve, take it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for electricity! I can't imagine what we would do without it.

I can't believe your VT companion did that. Bet those kids were excited.

Tori said...

Wow that is crazy. I'm glad your power is back on. I like the idea of packing up and going to Disney World. Glad you guys are o.k.

Janell said...

I can see the commercial now....
"Your home was just struck by a hurricane, what are you going to do now? .....

I'm going to Disneyland!!"

Glad everything is better. We were thinking of you.