Fall

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sugar, Sugar, Sugar

I've come to the conclusion that I am a sugar addict. After every meal I crave sugar. Not Chocolate, like most women, but cookies, cake, pie you know...the good stuff. I've been desperately trying to curb this addiction but find when I deny myself I literally get headaches and nausea. It's kind of freaky really. So if anyone out there knows of a solution to my issue, HELP! I am limiting myself immensely, but I want to not crave it anymore. Just be able to go with out and it's no big deal. So any advice would be wonderful.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's an interesting dilemma. So you eat some sort of dessert after every meal?

You could try making low sugar treats- like check out a diabetic or special diet cookbook from the library. Eating Well is a good source for low fat, low sugar desserts. Just google "eating well" and their site should come up.

Go slow. Maybe have 2 treats a day and cut back from there. Or one less than what you're eating now I guess. You'll have to deal with the headaches and nausea at first I think.

If the problem doesn't go away, I would talk to your doctor or maybe a nutritionist.

Tori said...

I went off sugar (meaning desserts, etc.) for a couple of months last year. The first couple of days off I had a headache and was sick. But I felt so much better after that it was worth the couple of days. I did start eating sweets again, but am trying to majorly curb this again. It's hard. Good luck.

Katie said...

I need to email you. Sugar cravings are often directly related to the kinds of other foods you are eating. Increase proteins and fibers and by all means eat other sweet things, i.e. fruits (not the juices, the real thing). See if it helps.

Angie said...

There is no cure. Just give in and indulge like the rest of us! (:

Erika said...

I've heard that you have to go cold turkey for awhile, and just go through the withdrawal. They say you won't crave it anymore after like 30 days or something. Don't ask me though, I'm a big fan of sugar, LOL.

Katie said...

What I've heard is that you should eat an apple, frozen peas, or any other fruit or veggie that is sugary when your craving comes. It's "supposed" to curb the craving. I am not saying that I have done this with success--I usually just go for the cereal or something. Becky said once that Toby eats graham crackers and milk after dinner--maybe that would work to wean you away more slowly. Good luck Suz!

Meg said...

I've read, but not tried, that if you take a walk or do other exercise it decreases cravings. Drink lots of water, too, because that should help lessen the headache. So, instead of dessert you could try instituting a family walk around the neighborhood after dinner and see if it helps.

Lelani said...

YOU ARE MY TWIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I eat something sweet every day, especially after dinner. I love, love something sweet later in the evening. Bread and sugar are my two bad habits that I have no intention of changing. ha ha ha